gluten free scone recipe!


Ever since I found out back in October that I had a gluten allergy (along with other food sensitivities), I have remained gluten free. I can't believe it's been six months! It's been difficult at times (mostly when tempted with cake!), but overall, it's really easy to follow because I see such a huge improvement in my health. I no longer feel utterly and completely exhausted through out the day, I don't get headaches every afternoon, and I don't feel like I'm constantly in a fog. 

Along with the gluten allergy, I have sensitivities to egg yolk, soy, sunflower, canola, quinoa, and safflower (among others). Unfortunately, most GF baked goods contain at least one of these ingredients. I have been determined to continue baking since I love it so much. But I have also been determined to not let my baked goods suffer in taste. After all, what's the point of baking if it doesn't taste good? 

I hadn't had a scone in at least six months, but a couple of weekends ago, I decided it was time to try a new recipe. 

Lemon Cranberry Gluten-free Scones {adapted from Gluten-free Gourmand}

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix together in a large bowl:
2 cups all-purpose GF flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum (if it's not included in your GF four mix)

Cut into pieces and drop in:
6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter with a pastry blender, coating the pieces with flour as you go, until the largest pieces of butter are pea-sized. Keep this mixture cold, chilling in the refrigerator if the butter starts to soften.

Stir in:
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Whisk together in a separate bowl:
3/4 cup coconut milk
3 TB egg whites
2 tsp lemon zest

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture starts to hold together, then gently knead the dough a few times with your hands. Depending on your flour mix, the dough may be very sticky. While this makes it difficult to handle, it is okay.

Put the dough on a baking sheet. Gently push the dough into a flat disk about one inch high. Cut into eight equal pieces and arrange them on a baking sheet about an inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1-2 TB milk

Mix together and spread on top of warm scones.

*You can add 1/2 cup chopped nuts to the dough, switch out the dried fruit, or use any zest you prefer. I was surprised with how much I loved the lemon-cranberry flavors together!

No comments:

Post a Comment